Werribee,” Wyndham History, accessed November 12, 2019, http://www.wyndhamhistory.net.au/items/show/1020.
A large mudbrick house that was demolished in 2002.Source
City of Wyndham Heritage Study 1997
A large mudbrick house that was demolished in 2002.Title
Ison House and poultry sheds,
Ison House, Werribee (Vic.), Mud-brick houses - Werribee (Vic.), Ison, William, Jones, Robert, Chirnside, Annie Ida, Beamish, John, Werribee Closer Settlement Board, McGrath, W. J., McGrath, J. A.,
Wyndham City LibrariesSource
City of Wyndham Heritage Study 1997Publisher
Context Pty LtdDate
Dr Carlotta KellawayFormat
The house was a large mud brick house surrounded by verandahs. The plastering of the house was regarded as having occurred at a later date as was the construction of the chimneys. The large poultry sheds were of timber construction.
The first owner of this house was William Ison who leased the land from Robert Jones (who was granted the land in 1857) and then built around 1858. Ison rented the land until 1913 when he obtained the title from Anna Ida Chirnside. Ison owned adjoining land from the 1880s.
Ison sold to John Beamish, and Beamish offered the property to the Closer Settlement Board in 1919. At that time the property was described as having a six-roomed dwelling and outbuildings worth £250, with the dwelling described as 40’ by 36’ with mud walls (Egyptian brick, clay and straw), a plaster interior, two brick chimneys and verandah all round. Beamish’s son purchased the land from the Closer Settlement Board, but his failure to maintain payments lead to its transfer to W. J. and J. A. McGrath in 1926.
The McGraths ran the property as a poultry farm, presumably building the large poultry sheds which were on the property.