Hanna, Andrew, Rev., Truganina State School, Truganina (Vic.), Hanna, Mary,
Wyndham City LibrariesContributor
After resigning from the Presbyterian ministry, Andrew Hanna took up farming on both sides of the Werribee River. During 1867-1868 only 11 inches of rain fell each year. The severe drought ruined Andrew, and he was persuaded to resume teaching. He was an able teacher with high literary qualifications.
After a short period of teaching in the school held in the Methodist Church on Boundary Road, he moved to the new permanent school building sited just west of Wood's Road and south of Doherty's Road. He held the position of Head Teacher at Truganina School from 1869 to 1874. His son was appointed a pupil teacher there in 1873.
In 1874 Andrew was transferred to Preston, getting notice on Saturday to commence duty at Preston on Monday morning, leaving no possibility of the school being opened on the next week. When Andrew left Preston in 1878 he was presented with a silver tea and coffee service before about 160 children and a large number of the inhabitants of the district.
Andrew was transferred from Preston to the North Footscray School in Geelong Road. Here the roads were terrible and the leased building over-crowded. Andrew persuaded the Education Department to erect the present building. Andrew died prematurely in 1881, 'worn out' at the age of 49. His wife Mary, also a fine teacher died on 16th September 1889. He is buried at the Footscray Cemetery.
"CORRESPONDENCE." The Bacchus Marsh Express (Vic. : 1866 - 1918) 6 Feb 1875: 3. Web. 11 Jul 2013 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article88349303.
"No Title." The Bacchus Marsh Express (Vic. : 1866 - 1918) 8 Jun 1878: 2. Web. 11 Jul 2013 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article89702955.
"Family Notices." Independent (Footscray, Vic. : 1883 - 1922) 28 Sep 1889: 2. Web. 11 Jul 2013 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article73241249.
Green, Geo. F., A brief history of Truganina from the coming of white man to 1935, 1935.
Thompson, E.C. The history of school No. 192, Truganina, The Educational Magazine, Vol 17(10), 1960, p. 468-475.