18 Russell Street,
Werribee,” Wyndham History, accessed January 18, 2020, http://www.wyndhamhistory.net.au/items/show/1059.
A simple timber building with a gabled roof and partially enclosed verandah on two sides.Source
City of Wyndham Heritage Study 1997
A simple timber building with a gabled roof and partially enclosed verandah on two sides.Title
18 Russell Street,
Stables - Werribee (Vic.), Russell, Patrick, Wyndham Racecourse and Recreation Reserve, Werribee (Vic.), Taylor, Robert, Carrs, Margaret,
Wyndam City LibrariesSource
City of Wyndham Heritage Study 1997Publisher
Context Pty LtdDate
Dr Carlotta KellawayFormat
This simple timber building with a gabled roof and partially enclosed verandah on two sides, appeared to have once been stable buildings. The form of the building and the entry are the features were most suggestive of a stable. The building appeared to date from around 1920. This was indicated by the exposed rafters under the eaves and the timber work on the entry.
The former stables at 18 Russell Street most probably relate to the ownership of suburban Lot 17 along the present Russell Street prior to its subdivision in 1925. As early as 1896-97, Patrick Russell of Williamstown was owner of the 5-acre paddock in suburban Lot 17, Township of Wyndham. At the turn of the century Patrick Russell was the owner and occupier still.
Patrick Russell of Williamstown was associated with horse racing at Werribee as early as 1879, when he was a member of the Committee of Management of the Wyndham Racecourse and Recreation Reserve. By 1903, when Russell owned the paddock in suburban Lot 17, he was one of the nine Trustees of the Racecourse Reserve. A meeting of these Trustees on 29 October 1903 decided to retain the Reserve for racing purposes, despite some local agitation to sell it off. Racing did not commence immediately, but after the passage of the Wyndham Racecourse Bill in November 1912, the racecourse became “one of the best and truest courses in Victoria”.
Patrick Russell, at least from 1910, was living in the Werribee township. He owned the five acres in Russell Street still in the First World War years.
The district rate records unfortunately list “dwellings” only, with no indication of other buildings such as stables. Following the subdivision of Lot 17 in the 1920s, a number of dwellings were listed in Russell Street, in Lots 17C and 17F owned by Robert Taylor and Mrs Margaret Carrs. Margaret Carrs owned the dwelling in Russell Street still in the 1930s.The stables have now been demolished and units are now on the site.