Percy John Fogarty (1899-1987)Subject
Fogarty, Percy JohnPublisher
Wyndham City LibrariesDate
No.3525 Percy John Fogarty
- Percy John Fogarty - Name used on First Enlistment
- John Fogarty - Name used on Second Enlistment
He had a sibling, William Francis Joseph Fogarty and his birth was registered at Wagga Wagga, NSW, in 1899.
Percy enlisted in the A.I.F. at Melbourne on 22 June 1915 as a Private, and was sent to No 2 Squadron Depot at Seymour, for training. On his Attestation Papers he stated that he had previously completed 12 months in the school cadets. Percy’s mother Johanna Fogarty signed the necessary letter, giving her consent for her son to enlist for Active Service on 18 June 1915. She then retracted her consent in a letter to the Army, dated 30 June 1915, in which she stated that:
1. She had been ill when her son tricked her into signing the consent form.
2. Her son Percy was not yet 17 years of age.
3. She was a widow, with young children and Percy was her main means of support.
Johanna Fogarty then asked that her son be sent home at the Army’s earliest convenience. In compliance with his mother’s request, he was discharged from the Seymour Camp on 23 July 1915.
Using the name John Fogarty (dropping the first name of Percy), he again applied to enlist at Melbourne on 17 August 1915. He now stated that he was 19 years of age, and he provided a note of consent from his mother.
His brother, William Francis Fogarty (who was under age) had enlisted at Melbourne on 20 July 1915. He did his recruit training with the 12th Battalion between 21 July and 14 October 1915, and was then transferred to 7 Company at the Geelong Camp, in Victoria. William moved to 'D' Company at Geelong on 22 November 1915, and was placed in the 8/22 Battalion Reinforcements.
The two brothers embarked from Melbourne on 5 January 1916 per H.M.A.T. Afric A19, bound for Egypt. It carried the 22 Infantry Battalion (1 to 8 Reinforcements). Both brothers served with the 57th Battalion at Tel-el-Kebir Camp at Ismalia, Egypt, from 23 February 1916. They were moved from the 57th Battalion to the 5th Pioneer Battalion on 4 March 1916. This would have made them original members of that Battalion, which was primarily formed with men from South Australia. At its peak, the Tel-el-Kebir camp held 40,000 Australians, and was 6 miles in length.
The brothers embarked from Alexandria in Egypt on the 19 June 1916 on the Canada to join the B.E.F., and arrived at Marseilles on the 25 June 1916. The two brothers fought together in France, until John was admitted to hospital in March 1917 suffering with Pericarditis and Pleurisy. This resulted in him being evacuated to England.
[William (Percy John's brother) fought 'In the Field', in France and Belgium for 15 months, until he was badly wounded. On 30 September 1917, while in action at Ypres in Belgium, he was shot in the face and received a fractured jaw. He also received injury to his spine. William died of his wounds on 18 October 1917. For some reason, the full details of William’s wounds are now included the service file of his brother John].
After arriving in England on 16 March 1917, John was admitted to the Southern General Hospital in Birmingham, for treatment of his Pleurisy, and his family were immediately notified. He was discharged from hospital on 19 May 1917, and after a short leave, he reported to the Training Depot at Perham Downs on 4 June 1917.
On his first day back from leave, he was admitted to the Military Hospital at Bulford, Wiltshire, suffering with gonorrhoea. (This was the first of three occasions between June 1917 and July 1919). His first treatment concluded on 5 August 1917, when he marched in to the Overseas Training Depot at Perham Downs. When there, he was transferred to Reserve Brigade Australian Artillery DTLS Heytesbury, where he became a Gunner.
On 7 March 1918, he sailed for France from Southampton, and arrived at Rouelle in N.W. France, three days later. There he was taken on strength with the 2nd D.Artillery. Two weeks later, on the 22 March 1918, he was transferred to the 5th Field Artillery Battery, and taken on strength with the 105th Battery. He was then appointed as a Driver.
On 11 October 1918, John was admitted to the 48 Casualty Clearing Station at Rouen. He was then moved to the 5th Tent Hospital, and later, the 2nd Convalescent Depot.
John returned to England for two weeks leave beginning from 11 December 1918. Then on the 27 December 1918 he was admitted as sick, to the 1st Australian District Hospital at Bulford in England. After being treated for 154 days, he was discharged on 28 May 1919, and he reverted to the rank of Gunner, with effect of his admission date to hospital.
John Fogarty embarked back to Australia per Ulysses on 22 July 1919, and disembarked on 2 September 1919. He was discharged from 3 M.D. on 3 December 1919.
In 1921, Percy John Fogarty married Alice Maude Morgan.
The Electoral roll for 1924 shows Percy John Fogarty (labourer) living with his wife Alice Maude, and his mother Johanna, at Churnside Street, Footscray North. This entry was repeated in the 1931 Electoral Roll. The 1936 Electoral Roll only records Percy John and Alice Maude Fogarty at 109 Chirnside Street Footscray North. According to the electoral rolls, they both remained there until 1973, when Alice died.
Percy John Fogarty lived alone at 109 Chirnside Street, until 1980 (when electoral records cease).
According to his military record, John Fogarty died on 17 August 1987.
Medals & Entitlements:
- Nil from first enlistment
- British War Medal - issue 4 May 1921
- Victory Medal - issue 25 September 1922
First listed in Roll of Honor, Werribee Shire Banner, 4 May 1916, p.1 - From West Footscray (with no initials)
Fogarty, P. J. from West Footscray listed in Roll of Honor, Werribee Shire Banner, 13 February 1919, p.3 (and subsequent editions)
There is no doubt that Percy John Fogarty and John Fogarty are the same person, as their signatures match.
Name on the Oak Board – Fogarty P.J.
Name in the Banner Roll of Honor – Fogarty P.J. from West Footscray.