P. Hulse, Werribee
World War One Veterans Item Type Metadata
P. Hulse, Werribee
During the research for Hulse, P – Werribee the following information was found:
- National Archives of Australia have eight records for the name Hulse: four of those are from Victoria.
- Australian War Memorial, First World War Embarkation Rolls - eight records found.
- AIF records do not have a P. Hulse. There are nine records for Hulse, four of these are from Victoria.
Hulse R (not P) first appeared in the Roll of Honor, Werribee Shire Banner, 22 July 1915, p.3.
It changed to Hulse, P. in Werribee Shire Banner, 13 February 1919, p.3.
None of the members researched were from the Werribee area.
If the we go with the initial R, then Roy Ernest Hulse No.1726 was a shunter with the Victorian Railways before he joined the Army. As such, he could have worked all over the state in his working life. Some of the other soldiers researched worked on the railways and listed train stations as their home address.
No. 1726 Roy Ernest Hulse was born in Echuca in 1892. He enlisted on 19 May 1915 and embarked for active service abroad on 16 July 1915.
His home address was his father's, William Henry Hulse, 36 Connell Street, Hawthorn, Victoria.
Roy Ernest Hulst returned to Australia on 21 February 1916 and was discharged on 14 August 1916, medically unfit with chronic fatigue syndrome (Neurasthenia).
Medals and Entitlments:
- Returned Soldiers Badge - better known as the Returned from Active Service Badge
- Silver War Badge and Certificate No A21 - 14 May 1918. The badge, sometimes known as the "Discharge Badge", the "Wound Badge" or "Services Rendered Badge", was first issued in September 1916, along with an official certificate of entitlement.
- Victory Medal
- Star Medal - 27 September 1920
- British War Medal - 15 June 1921
Roy joined again under service number 159 on 11 June 1917 and remained in Melbourne for Home Service as a guard at the Domain Camp, St Kilda. He was discharged on 13 November 1917.
Roy passed away in 1957 at the age of 70 years.
If you have any information that could help us in our research, please contact the Plaza Library on 8734 2600 or email email@example.com