Herbert William Beamish (1886-1946)Subject
Beamish, Herbert WilliamPublisher
Wyndham City LibrariesDate
No.377 Private Herbert William Beamish
Henry Beamish married Mary Ann Fitzgibbon in Victoria, in 1873.
They had the following children:
- Elizabeth Beamish - born 1874 at Wyndham (1874/13105)
- Henry Thomas Beamish - born 1876 at Hotham (1876/10045)
- Margaret Jane Beamish - born 1878 at Wyndham (1878/20132)
- George Edward Beamish - born 1879 at Wyndham (1879/26754)
- Catherine Beamish - born 1882 at Wyndham (1882/6333)
- Herbert William Beamish - born 1884 at Neerim (1884/11686) (A.I.F. No.377)
- William Abraham Beamish - born 1886 at Werribee (1886/14719) (A.I.F. No.4364)
- Francis John Beamish - born 1888 at Neerin (1888/14021)
- Harold Hope Beamish - born 1890 at Neerim (1890/15705) (A.I.F. No.1730)
Herbert Beamish married Ivy Marian Bridger in New South Wales, in 1912.
(Cert No 1912/6578)
16 May 1916 - Private Herbert Beamish embarked from Sydney per A64 Demosthenes, with the 41st Infantry Battalion. They sailed to England, to continue training.
31 December 1916 - Proceeded to France, via Folkstone, per S.S. Princess Victoria
15 May 1917 - Was admitted to hospital – sick
5 August 1917 - Re-joined his Unit, and was promoted to Lance Corporal.
5 October 1917 - Wounded in action. Admitted to 57th General Hospital at Boulogne
16 October 1917 - Evacuated to England
17 October 1917 - Admitted to Central Military Hospital at Chatham, suffering from gun shot wounds to head, and a fractured skull.
13 November 1917 - Transferred to 3rd Auxiliary Hospital.
27 November 1917 - Transferred to Weymouth Camp
13 February 1918 - Evacuated back to Australia per Runic, due to injuries.
22 March 1918 - Discharged from A.I.F., as medically unfit.
1931-1942 Electoral Roll – Herbert William Beamish, Labourer, and Ivy Miriam Beamish, home duties, were living at 44 Hobbs Street, Footscray South.
Herbert died at the Alfred Hospital.
Beloved husband of Ivy Beamish, and loving father of Victor and Harold.
His death notice was published in The Herald (Melbourne), 27 February 1946, p.4.
His death in 1946 was reported in a short obituary in The Tweed Daily, 28 February 1946, p.2.
Herbert was buried in the Footscray Cemetery. His headstone reads:
In loving memory of my dear husband Herbert W Beamish, loved father of Victor and Harold, died 27th February 1946.
ancestry.com – Victoria Cemetery Records and Headstone transcriptions 1844-1997
Medals and Entitlements:
- British War Medal No.16951
- Victory Medal No.16559
Name on the Werribee Shire Oak Board: “BEAMISH, H.W.”
The name “Beamish, H.W. from Werribee” first appeared in the Roll of Honor, Werribee Shire Banner, 2 March 1916, p.1
Unit War Diary
Pioneer Index 1837-1888 CD
Federation Index 1889-1901 CD
Edwardian Index 1902-1913 CD
Great War Index 1914-1920 CD
Marriage Index 1921-1942 CD