Wyndham History
Menu

Bull House,
River Street (cnr Rothwell Street),
Little River

Citation

Wyndham City Libraries, “Bull House,
River Street (cnr Rothwell Street),
Little River,” Wyndham History, accessed July 14, 2020, http://www.wyndhamhistory.net.au/items/show/290.
Description

Single storey Edwardian house, facing the railway line, a typical example of the period. Between the house and the railway line is a row of cypresses.

Source

CIty of Wyndham Heritage Study 1997

Description

Single storey Edwardian house, facing the railway line, a typical example of the period. Between the house and the railway line is a row of cypresses.

Title

Bull House,
River Street (cnr Rothwell Street),
Little River

Subject

Houses - Little River (Vic.), General stores - Little River (Vic.), Bull, James, Comben, Alfred Ernest, Smithies - Little River (Vic.), Bull, Clem, Bull, Myra, Post offices - Little River (Vic.),

Creator

Wyndham City Libraries

Source

CIty of Wyndham Heritage Study 1997

Publisher

Context Pty Ltd

Date

1997

Format

text

Language

eng

Type

Text

Single storey Edwardian house facing the railway line rather than River Street. The house is a typical example of the period: characteristic features include the assymetrical facade with one room set forward and a verandah (now enclosed) across the balance and a half-timbered gable.

Between the house and the railway line is a row of cypresses. The store was located in River Street at the back of the house. It was burnt in the 1960s. Only a small shed remains of evidence of the store.

The history records that the house was shifted to this site and has been here since the 1920s. The store was built first.

The main business in Little River was once James Bull's general store, a local landmark and meeting place. According to one accounte, Bull bought it from Alf Comben in 1908, after working in it. It had previously been a single galvanised shed adjoining another iron shed, used as a blacksmith's shop.

In 1922 Bull became the LIttle River Post Master. Werribee Shire records confirm that in the early 1920s Bull owned a store located on the Railway Reserve at Little River. This has bee identified as in Allotment 36L on the north side of River Street on the corner of Rothwell Street (previously known as Station Street).

Bull had "the family home shifted in behind the shop". This became the home of the Foster family. From the late 1920s Bull was rated for a shop and dwelling on the Railway Reserve. By this time his property had doubled in value.

The vacant block in Rothwell Street was later built onby Jim Bull's son, Clem. It is occupied still by Clem's wife Myra. This later was used as a post office with Myra as post mistress.

Myra Bull tells how the store burned down in 1960 due to an electrical fault. The house behind the store now faces the wrong way.

Comments

Comments

Ask a question