Truganina,” Wyndham History, accessed November 12, 2019, http://www.wyndhamhistory.net.au/items/show/441.
A site located east of Hopkins Road enclosed by a drystone wall. The remains of bluestone house.Source
City of Wyndham Heritage Study 1997
A site located east of Hopkins Road enclosed by a drystone wall. The remains of bluestone house.Title
Robertson farm complex,
Houses - Truganina (Vic.), Robertson, John, Volant, Stephen, Taylor, Dougald,
Wyndham City LibrariesSource
City of Wyndham Heritage Study 1997Publisher
Context Pty LtdDate
Dr Carlotta KellawayFormat
The site, located on a low crest east of Hopkins Road, is enclosed by a drystone wall. Set within this walled garden of peppercorns and sugar gums are the remains of a bluestone house and several other features. The five roomed house, with central entry, is built of coursed bluestone. The remnants of the slate roof have collapsed into the building. The windows on the main façade are full-length. A bluestone flagged path leads to the back door.
Other site features include a large brick-lined well and the remains of a bluestone building set into the ground (or cellar of a larger building).
The house (and associated buildings) were destroyed by fire in 1969. Stockyards have been built within the drystone wall. Nearby, outside the drystone wall, there is a stone-faced dam and stone-lined outlet.
R. Hepburn first acquired this allotment (Allotment G, Section XXII, Parish of Tarneit) of 113 acres in 1854.
John Robertson, a gentleman farmer keen on racehorses, owned this property. The most notable feature is said to have been a 100 foot high tower built of Oregon, and used by Robertson in his old age to view his racehorses. It was built by Steve Volante, carpenter, who lived at the site of Arva in Boundary Road. This tower was demolished in the late 1940s/early 1950s when it became unsafe.
John Robertson was the proprietor of an ink and dye works in Lonsdale Street, Melbourne. Dougald Taylor worked for Robertson and later owned the property.