Wyndham History

Exford

Item

Placeholder image - place scene green.png

Article Item Type Metadata

Text

Exford is a farming district situated by the Werribee River.  

Exford was named in 1842 after a sheep station which was situated in the Brisbane Ranges and was owned by Simon Staughton.  

It was thought that because the Werribee River was known at one time as the Exe River, the name Exford may have derived from this.  The name Exe originates from Somerset, England.

Bibliography

Place names within the City of Werribee, City of Werribee, 1992

Collection

Citation

“Exford,” Wyndham History, accessed October 27, 2021, https://www.wyndhamhistory.net.au/index.php/items/show/1259.

Comments

Social Bookmarking

Geolocation