Wyndham History

Rothwell Bridge,
Old Melbourne Road,
Little River

Item

R1S4 - 86.tif

Dublin Core

Type

Title

Rothwell Bridge,
Old Melbourne Road,
Little River

Description

A four span bluestone bridge across Little River that was completed in 1866.

Contributor

Date

1997

Publisher

Context Pty Ltd

Source

City of Wyndham Heritage Study 1997

Coverage

Format

text

Language

eng

Article Item Type Metadata

Text

Four span bluestone bridge across Little River described in the Heritage Victoria file as "four span structure with piers separating the central two arches from the end ones. The structure is faced with rusticated bluestone masonry and has substantial abuttments. Features are the coussoirs, imposts, string courses and piers". In terms of its design, the assessment continues: "it is a notable example of bridge construction in bluestone ... a rare example of a bridge with piers dividing the spans ... detailed in a classically derived engineering style used for such structures ... the bluestone masonry work and detailing is notable".

On the Geelong side of the bridge is the remains of the Rothwell Inn. On the Wyndham side, there is a reserve planted out with sugar gums. 

An early survey plan of 1855 shows the plan of the township of Rothwell on the west side of Little River. The plan shows the "proposed main line of road" along the alignment now known as Speedway Road and Old Melbourne Road. However, there was considerable community debate around the location of the bridge and the resonsibility for its funding.

The bridge was finally designed by Mr John Baxter - after several other designs were rejected - and constructed by Mr Clement Nash for 800 pounds.

Rothwell Bridge was completed in 1866.

Citation

Wyndham City Libraries, “Rothwell Bridge,
Old Melbourne Road,
Little River,” Wyndham History, accessed September 21, 2021, https://www.wyndhamhistory.net.au/items/show/288.

Comments

Document Viewer

Social Bookmarking

Geolocation