Wyndham History

Chirnside (Corpus Christi) Gates,
Chirnside Avenue (corner Russell Street),
Werribee

Item

Chirnside (Corpus Christi) Gates.jpg

Dublin Core

Type

Title

Chirnside (Corpus Christi) Gates,
Chirnside Avenue (corner Russell Street),
Werribee

Description

Large stone entry gates constructed of granite.

Contributor

Date

1997

Publisher

Context Pty Ltd

Source

CIty of Wyndham Heritage Study 1997

Coverage

Format

text

Language

eng

Article Item Type Metadata

Text

Large stone entry gates constructed of granite.  Iron palisade fence below a timber rail has been removed, but one piece of the timber remains.  Concrete capping needs repair in some places.  ‘Corpus Christi’ is carved into the main posts.  The gate fixings remain.

Architectural drawings of these gates, designed for G. Chirnside, Esq, in 1911, are held in a collection of works by the Ballarat architectural firm of Clegg and Miller.  The erection of those gates most probably related to the sale of surrounding Chirnside Estate Land at Werribee.  Despite the subdivision and sale of much of this estate in the first decade of the 1900s, the Chirnside family retained the Werribee Park mansion until 1922.  In that year George Chirnside Jnr. sold the 19th century homestead and its surrounding College for training men for the priesthood.  In 1973 the property was purchased by the Victorian Government.  The Chirnside Gates remain.

The Ballarat firm responsible for the design of the gates, Clegg and Miller, were notable in the 1890s and at the turn of the century for their hospital and church works, as well as domestic structures, many in country areas.  Church work included churches at Rutherglen (1898); Barnawartha (1898); St. Patrick’s Cathedral at Ballarat (1898); the Presbyterian Church at Hamilton (1908) and a Methodist Church there in 1913.  Hospital buildings included the Queens Ward at Ballarat Hospital (1898); nurses’ quarters at St. Arnaud’s Hospital (1898); and the Infectious Ward at Warracknabeal District Hospital (1905).  The firm’s most important hospital work was the design of Melbourne’s first Fever Hospital at Fairfield (1899-1900), as the result of a competition.

Clegg and Miller carried out other commissions for the Chirnside family including the designs of farm buildings and houses.

Citation

Wyndham City Libraries, “Chirnside (Corpus Christi) Gates,
Chirnside Avenue (corner Russell Street),
Werribee,” Wyndham History, accessed September 22, 2021, https://www.wyndhamhistory.net.au/items/show/428.

Comments

Social Bookmarking

Geolocation